June 7, 2024

Unexpected Gifts

Portrait of Charles III of Spain

Blessed with generous and thoughtful friends, I was recently gifted a painted copy of Anton Raphael Mengs' (1728-1779) circa 1761 Portrait of Carlo di Borbone (1716-1788). Seeing we were using a mere 4” x 6” framed photo at our Annual Battle of Bitonto Commemorations, my friend gave us a painting more befitting of the King and suitable for the occasion. I cannot wait to see everyone's expression when they see this at next year's event. Viva ‘o Rre!

Napoli Ultra Stickers

The same friend also gave me a handful of Napoli ultra stickers.

Despite the shameful season we just endured, my love for the team that represents the capital of the “shaking lands” will never diminish. Saving them, they will one day adorn my next laptop. Forza Napoli Sempre!
Papal Medal

The real treat, however, was getting a medal with the Papal coat-of-arms and images of Blessed Magdalena Sophia Barat (1779-1865) on the obverse and Saint Pius X (1835-1914) on the reverse. Unsure of the date, my guess is the medal was struck sometime between 24 May 1908, when she was Beatified by Pope Pius X, and 24 May 1925, when she was Canonized by Pope Pius XI. Santa Maddalena Sofia Barat and San Pio X, orate pro nobis.