August 25, 2017

Evviva Santa Rosalia! A Look at the 42nd Annual Feast of Santa Rosalia in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn

Evviva Santa Rosalia!
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
Tuesday after work, I finally had the opportunity to go to the 42nd Annual Feast of Santa Rosalia in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Visiting the outdoor chapel to venerate la Santuzza, I said a few intercessory prayers for the earthquake victims in Ischia and for the happy repose of the souls of my ancestors. Although I was a little disappointed to discover that the rumors of a new statue donated by the city of Palermo were untrue, I still made my customary donation and picked up some prayer cards to share with my loved ones.
The outdoor chapel on 18th Avenue, between 71 St. and 72 St.
There was plenty of delicious Palermitano street fare
at Lucy's, including stigghiola...
...and grilled octopus
Naturally we made our obligatory stop at Villabate Alba Pasticceria
(7001 18th Ave.) for some espresso and Baked Iris
Festive street lights line the Avenue
I couldn't leave without getting a little care package
filled with delicious Sicilian specialties for myself