April 18, 2017

Faith and Family, My Easter Traditions

He is Risen! Alleluia! Beautifully decorated High Altar with Risen Christ
By Giovanni di Napoli
Easter Sunday I made my way to Our Lady of Peace Church (522 Carroll St.) in Gowanus, Brooklyn to celebrate the Resurrection of the Lord. Though it’s not my parish, I prefer the Extraordinary Form, and (for now) the magnificent house of worship is the sole church in Brooklyn that offers weekly Traditional Latin Mass (every Sunday at 9:30).
Madonna Addolorata and Crucifix
High Mass was sung by celebrant and homilist Fr. Christofer M. Cullen, who was dutifully assisted by several altar servers. The Mass was masterly accompanied by Schola Director and organist David Adam Smith and choir.
Our Lady of Divine Providence and Sant'Antonio da Padova
Before leaving for the cemetary, I briefly mingled with parishioners and visited the various shrines of the saints to make my usual intercessory prayers for the happy repose of the souls of my ancestors and loved ones.
St. Louis IX, King of France and St. Elizabeth of Portugal
Changing out of my Sunday best, I broke fast with my family at Easter dinner. The ladies outdid themselves again this year and treated us to an amazing meal, replete with all our favorite southern Italian holiday favorites, like calzone di cipolla (Puglian onion pie) and agnello alla scottadito (grilled lamb chops).
Spinach pie and ricotta fritters
Ironically, because I abstained from eating macaroni during Lent, with all the terrific dishes to choose from it was a simple plate of orecchiette marinara I wanted and enjoyed the most.
Pizza rustica
Between courses, I partook in a couple of very competitive and physical games of football and basketball. No longer able to school my nephews on the field, I deservedly met with the same merciless treatment I meted out to them all these years. 
Orecchiette marinara
Even more comical was my reckless attempt to show them how to skateboard. Thankfully no one got hurt and nothing but my ego was bruised. 
Agnello alla scottadito
We finished our celebration with coffee and dessert and a raucous game of egg tapping. A contest a little more my speed, my Napoli blue egg survived the competition unscathed and I was this year’s champion.
Pastiera Napoletana