A friend recently informed me, much to my delight, that the fifth and final season of Babylon Berlin was premiering this September. At last, I thought, something new worth watching.
My excitement lasted about as long as it took me to look it up. Turns out, the German premiere was September 10th. Apparently, here in the United States, we will have to wait until early 2027 to see it.
At a time when seemingly endless quantities of forgettable television are being churned out with remarkable efficiency, one of the few series I actually look forward to remains (for now) out of reach.
Not without its flaws, Babylon Berlin still has plenty that so much contemporary television lacks: atmosphere, style, intrigue, memorable characters, and the death knell of Weimar Berlin as its historical backdrop.
So, while Germany gets to return to the smoky cabarets, brothels, political conspiracies, criminal underworld, and a city standing on the threshold of catastrophe, I suppose I will spend the next several months doing what I usually do: watching old movies and wondering how, with more streaming content available than ever before, there can be so little worth watching.
~ By Giovanni di Napoli
