September 11, 2026

A Chance Encounter with Il Vate

“Come to the Vittoriale, the muses of art, music and literature will be assembled.” ~ Gabriele D’Annunzio, in a letter to Tamara de Lempicka
How strange. On the very day I posted my meditation on Gabriele D’Annunzio, I happened upon a book about Tamara de Lempicka at my local used bookstore. Skimming through its pages and admiring the plates, I noticed an anecdote concerning Lempicka and Il Vate. That alone was enough for me to make up my mind and buy it. The price was certainly right.

Their encounter, as it happens, was a rather sordid affair, and one I will not repeat here.

I had originally picked up the book hoping to find something about Lempicka’s portrait of Suzy Solidor, one of my favorite works by the artist. The painting was there, beautifully reproduced, but alas, without any accompanying information.

Still, I left with the book. Sometimes a curious coincidence is reason enough.

~ By Giovanni di Napoli, September 10th, the Feasts of St. Nicolas Tolentino and St. Pulcheria