June 17, 2024

Rediscovering ‘Rediscovering the Ancient World on the Bay of Naples, 1710-1890’

It is foolish to think that you have to read all the books you buy, as it is foolish to criticize those who buy more books than they will ever be able to read. It would be like saying that you should use all the cutlery or glasses or screwdrivers or drill bits you bought before buying new ones. ~ Umberto Eco (1932-2016) [1]
As someone who prides themselves on having an extensive collection of books relating to Southern Italy, I’m always pleasantly surprised to stumble across a tome I don’t already own or I haven’t read. Somehow Rediscovering the Ancient World on the Bay of Naples, 1710-1890 (National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2013), a beautifully illustrated monograph on the early excavations of ancient sites in Campania and their global influence in the 18th and 19th centuries, has eluded me until earlier today, when I chanced upon a copy at my local used bookstore and greedily snatched it up.

Or so I thought. While shelving the book at home, I realized that I already owned a copy. Knowing how driven I’ve been in amassing my collection over the years, part of me was not totally surprised, but I have to admit I’m more than a little confused about how I could have no recollection of it. Leafing through the pages at the store I remember thinking this is going to be a great read, which makes it all the more perplexing.

I’m not saying I don’t have unread books, there are plenty in my stacks I’m saving to read one day, but the difference is I remember that I have them (I hope). This uncharacteristic lapse has got me wondering how many others there may be in my possession that I have forgotten and need to rediscover.

Recounting my gaffe to a friend over the phone, instead of assuring me that it is sometimes normal to forget such "trivial" matters, he questioned the size and purpose of my library. Paraphrasing the author Umberto Eco, I explained to him that to me books are so much more than a commodity. Like with medicine, it is always better to be fully stocked and prepared than not, and way more advantageous to have access to the right “dose” (book) when it's needed.

My Blue Heaven theatrical release poster

"My name is Tod; that's Italian for something extra special." ~ Steve Martin as Tod Wilkinson, My Blue Heaven

Instead of returning the book to the store like a normal person, I plan on keeping both copies in case I want to read it more than once—just kidding. For those who may not know, this is a reference to a joke from one of my favorite Mafia spoofs, My Blue Heaven (1990), starring comedian Steve Martin as Vincent Antonelli aka Tod Wilkinson. [2] I recently rewatched the film and it still tickles my funny bone. 


In all likelihood, we’ll end up raffling the book off at one of our upcoming events, but in the meantime, I'm going to start reading my original copy and scour my collection for other unread and forgotten treasures.


~ Giovanni di Napoli, June 16th, Feast of San Palerio di Telese


Notes:

[1] “It is foolish to think that you have to read all the books you buy, as it is foolish to criticize those who buy more books than they will ever be able to read. It would be like saying that you should use all the cutlery or glasses or screwdrivers or drill bits you bought before buying new ones.

"There are things in life that we need to always have plenty of supplies, even if we will only use a small portion. If, for example, we consider books as medicine, we understand that it is good to have many at home rather than a few: when you want to feel better, then you go to the 'medicine closet' and choose a book. Not a random one, but the right book for that moment. That's why you should always have a nutrition choice!

"Those who buy only one book, read only that one and then get rid of it. They simply apply the consumer mentality to books, that is, they consider them a consumer product, a good. Those who love books know that a book is anything but a commodity.” ~ Umberto Eco


[2] Arrested for possession of stolen books, Tod's quick-witted excuse for having multiple copies in the trunk of his car was that he may want to reread the book.