November 7, 2023

Celebrating the Month of the Poor and Forgotten Souls in Purgatory

On Halloween night, we left out some ossa dei morti e rametti (bones of the dead and twigs) for the poor wandering souls. We lit the way with a ceramic jack-o'-lantern given to me by my father when I first moved out on my own.

“We are told we must speak for those with no voice. Fine. The Reactionary will be the voice of the most silent among us. The blessed dead.” ~ Mark Citadel

As we all know, the month of November is dedicated to the Poor and Forgotten Souls in Purgatory. Traditionally a period of fasting and prayer, it begins with the Triduum of Death or Hallowtide, that is All Hallows’ Eve (Halloween), All Saints’ Day (Hallowmas) and All Souls’ Day, the commemoration of all the faithful departed. It is a time when the veil between the worlds of the living and the dead is at its thinnest and the spirits of the underworld roam the earth. 


Keeping the traditions and familial obligations passed down to me by my forebears, so far this month I’ve attended the Holy Days of Obligation, lit candles, brought flowers and communed with my dearly departed kith and kin at the local cemeteries and offered prayers for the relief of the Souls in Purgatory. It is important to remember a plenary indulgence is obtained for the holy prisoners whenever the faithful pray for them in a cemetery. (1) An indulgence can also be granted to them by visiting a parish church or public oratory and reciting one Pater Noster (Our Father) and Requiem aeternam. (2) A partial indulgence can be gained for the Souls in Purgatory by reciting Lauds or Vespers of the Office of the Dead.


Deeply rewarding, I’ve also been spending my days contemplating my mortality, the reality of Hell, and how to avoid eternal damnation. In addition to venerating the saints, reciting the Chaplet and our daily indulgenced prayers for the Poor Souls in Purgatory, my Sanfedisti brethren and I will continue to make reparations to the Sacred Heart of Jesus with intermittent fasting, alms-giving, and Eucharistic Adoration.

(L-R) La Janara (the witch) and 'O Munaciello (the Little Monk). Long gone are the days I got to dress the kids up as characters from Southern Italian folklore.
Born and raised in these United States my family adopted the secular observance of Halloween. Despite what some may have you believe, there is nothing remotely occultic or Satanic about it. In fact, the way it was passed down to me was the frightening costumes were meant to scare off witches and other evil spirits. The custom is reminiscent of the centuries-old winter and harvest festivals across Southern Italy where locals—dressed as feral beast men, bedizened with furs, chains and cowbells—ritually parade around bonfires and piazzas.

Perhaps I was being a bit cheeky, but this year while taking my niece and nephews trick-or-treating I dressed up as a Spanish Carlist. After all, what can be more terrifying to effete modern sensibilities and evil spirits than a virile, militant traditional Catholic warrior?


More than just fun and games, it is also a time to recall one’s ancestors. Food is left out for the souls of loved ones, jack-o'-lanterns light their way home, and gifts (traditionally dried fruits, nuts, and marzipan) are given to children, not so much as treats, but as alms for the wandering spirits.


This year's shrine to Sant'Uberto
with newly acquired bronze statuette
Fortunately for me, Hallowtide is followed by the Feast of Sant’Uberto di Liegi (St. Hubert of Liège). I embraced Sant’Uberto and Sant’Eustachio (St. Eustace) as patrons after my father’s death, the same way I adopted Santa Giovanna d’Arco (St. Jeanne d’Arc) when my mother died. Unlike my mother’s namesake, I chose Sant’Uberto and Sant’Eustachio because they are the patron saints of hunters and my beloved paterfamilias was, among other things, an avid huntsman. I could have easily picked any number of patrons to represent his many interests, but the saintly venatores felt the most fitting to me.

Since the Feast of Sant’Uberto fell on a Friday this year [click here to see our Friday commemoration], we translated our celebratory meal to Sunday, the Feast of the Holy Relics, so we can partake in some meat (i.e. Sunday ragù). Unfortunately, I have not been hunting in ages and all the hunters I knew are long gone, moved on, or retired, so we had to do without game (rabbit, wild boar, venison, etc.) this year. As always, the ladies did a tremendous job.


Still only one week into the month, we have so much more to look forward to. There is literally something to celebrate every day of the year, but here are a few upcoming dates worth noting:


• November 11th is Veterans Day and the Feast of San Martino di Tours (St. Martin of Tours), Roman Knight (eques), Monk, Hermit and Bishop. I adopted San Martino as a personal patron after I was invested in the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St. George and strive to emulate his knightly example. Being Veterans Day (formally Armistice Day) we honor those who valiantly and honorably served our country, which includes some of my forefathers.

Prayer for Deceased Veterans


O God, by whose mercy the faithful departed find rest, look kindly on your departed veterans who gave their lives in the service of their country. Grant that through the passion, death, and resurrection of your Son they may share in the joy of your heavenly kingdom and rejoice in you with your saints forever. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

• November 16th is the Feast of Santa Geltrude la Grande (St. Gertrude the Great), Virgin, Mystic, Benedictine Nun, and one of the 52 co-patrons of Naples. She is invoked for the Poor and Forgotten Souls in Purgatory.

Prayer of St. Gertrude the Great 


Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Thy Divine Son, Jesus, in union with the Masses said throughout the world today, for all the Holy Souls in Purgatory, for sinners everywhere, for sinners in the Universal Church, those in my home and within my family. Amen. 

• The month comes to a close on November 30th the Feast of Sant’Andrea Apostolo (St. Andrew the Apostle), “the First-Called.” Patron saint of Amalfi and fishermen, Sant’Andrea is one of the co-patrons of the Fratelli della Santa Fede (Sanfedisti), our traditional Catholic men’s society (società di uomini) devoted to spiritual combat, heroic acts of charity, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, and the Kingship of Christ.  

Prayer to Saint Andrew


O glorious Saint Andrew, you were the first to recognize and follow the Lamb of God. With your friend, Saint John, you remained with Jesus for that first day, for your entire life, and now throughout eternity. As you led your brother, Saint Peter, to Christ and many others after him, draw us also to Him. Teach us to lead others to Christ solely out of love for Him and dedication in His service. Help us to learn the lesson of the Cross and to carry our daily crosses without complaint so that they may carry us to Jesus. Amen.

Ever devoted to my ancestors and the Holy Souls in Purgatory, I implore my heavenly patrons to pray for their salvation (and mine), orate pro nobis. Requiescant in pace.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Notes:

(1) A plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions of confession within 8 days, the reception of Holy Communion, prayers for the intentions of the Holy Father, and no attachment to even a venial sin, may be granted to the Poor and Forgotten Souls in Purgatory when the faithful visit a cemetery and pray for the faithful departed. 

(2) Requiem aeternam dona ei (eis), Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei (eis). Requiescat (-ant) in pace. Amen. Eternal rest grant unto him/her (them), O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him/her (them).