May 23, 2023

Feast of Sant’Eframo di Napoli

Sant'Eframo Vescovo, ora pro nobis
May 23rd is the Feast of Sant’Eframo (Sant’Efébo, St. Euphebius), Bishop of Naples, Thaumaturge and Martyr. One of the city’s co-patrons, the beloved saint enjoys a popular reputation of holiness and miracles among the Neapolitans. Once every hundred years his devotees carry his silver bust in procession from the Duomo di Napoli to the Chiesa Sant’Eframo Vecchio, where he was originally buried with San Massimo and San Fortunato. He is also commemorated on November 8th along with all the city’s Holy Bishops. 

In celebration, I’m posting a prayer to St. Euphebius. The accompanying photo, courtesy of Andrew Giordano, was taken at the Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta in Napoli. Evviva Sant'Eframo!


Prayer to St. Euphebius 


O Glorious St. Euphebius, you served God in humility and confidence on earth, now you enjoy His beatific vision in Heaven. Help me to strengthen my faith and protect me in conflict. Obtain for me the grace to live a holy life, so that one day I may join you in the Kingdom of Heaven. Amen