May 30, 2023

Feast of Santa Giovanna d’Arco (St. Joan of Arc)

St. Jeanne d'Arc, ora pro nobis
May 30th is the Feast of St. Joan of Arc, la Pucelle d'Orléans, or "the Maid of Orléans." A childhood hero of mine, her faith, heroism and loyalty to her homeland still captures my imagination today as much as it did back then. Buon Onomastico to my Mother, who taught me about St. Joan and so much more.

In celebration, I’m posting a Prayer to St. Joan of Arc. The accompanying photo of Emmanuel Fremiet's equestrian statue of Jeanne d'Arc outside the Philadelphia Museum of Art was taken during a day trip to the "City of Brotherly Love" in 2016. Vive Sainte Jeanne d’Arc!

Prayer to St. Joan of Arc

Maid of Lorraine, mount your horse; draw your sword and call your army. Maid of Orleans, unfurl your banner, sound the charge, and ride to rescue me! Lift the siege on my heart, lift the siege on my mind, lift the siege on my soul! Maid of my heart, strengthen me. Maid of my mind, set me free. Maid of my soul, make my enemies flee! Fierce, fearless and faithful, St. Joan of Arc, lift the siege, and rescue me!