August 26, 2024

Feast of San Gianuario Martire

San Gianuario, ora pro nobis
August 26th is the Feast of San Gianuario (St. Januarius), Bishop of Carthage and Martyr. He is the principal patron of Marsico Nuovo, a town in the province of Potenza in the Basilicata region of Southern Italy. 

In celebration, I’m posting a prayer to San Gianuario Martire. The accompanying photo, courtesy of Stephen La Rocca, was taken at St. Mary Magdalene dei Pazzi Church (712 Montrose St.) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Evviva San Gianuario!
A Prayer to San Gianuario Martire
O Glorious San Gianuario, protector of Marsico Nuovo, you served God in humility and confidence on earth, now you enjoy His beatific vision in Heaven. Help me to strengthen my faith and protect me in conflict. Obtain for me the grace to live a holy life, so that one day I may join you in the Kingdom of Heaven. Amen