April 18, 2020

Meridiunalata XVII: Francesco Granatiero

Francesco Granatiero was born in Mattinata (Foggia, Puglia) in 1949 and works as a laboratory research doctor. After publishing some plaquettes of poetry in Italian, he published numerous collections of poetry in his native Garganico dialect of Mattinata, including All’acchjitte (1976), U iréne (1983), La préte de Bbacucche (1986), Énece (1994), Iréve (1995), L’endice la grava (1997), Scúerzele (2002), Bbommine. Fiori d’asfodelo (2006). Granatiero is included in important studies and anthologies of regional poetry. (Dell’Arco, Chiesa-Tesio, Brevini, Spagnoletti-Vivaldi, Serrao, Bonaffini). From 1986 to 1992 he managed the editorial board of the “Incontri” series directed by Giovanni Tesio for Boetti & C. Editori, in which volumes of the major dialect poets of the second half of the 20th century appeared.

The following poems are from Granatiero’s collection entitled Scúerzele or “Spoils/Remains” (Rome, Edizioni Cofine, 2002, with preface by Donato Valli and afterward by Achille Serrao) and are translated here by Cav. Charles Sant’Elia.

Vricce

Préte de mére, vriccia
lònghe e ttónne, l’allisce
aggiòcca ce allustrisce,
c’all’úecchie mije ce appicce

e nzacce s’è cchiú ttónne
o jèje cchiú a ppónda lisce
ma cèrte – assènza jónne –
cchiú pprónde ce vé fficce

pe ll’úrte de nu càlece
nd’u quagghie de la mòreje
nd’u mmedudde la càlece
che ngènne nd’la memòreje.

Pebble

Sea stone, pebble
oval, I smooth it
so that it shines,
so that it lights up to my eyes

and I don’t know if it is more round
o more dull pointed
but certainly – without a slingshot-
more ready to strike

with the impact of a kick
in the clot of the sludge
in the marrow of the lime
that burns in my memory.

Annatavanne
        È l’anima straniera, sulla terra.
                       Georg Trakl


Óue jèje chése, u reggitte
de l’àneme? Da attàneme,
óue sò nnéte, mó spíerte
e ddemíerte, frustíere
retòrne, chi l’appure
chichédúne me sépe.

Óue mó stéche ne nzacce
se véche spatrejune
o stéche a stritte. Cèrte,
nesciune a mmè me cacce,
ma sènde ca l’assíette
sprefónne sótte i píete.

L’àneme nd’u tramóte
sté annatavanne, sóte.
Auméne pe nna sèrte
pembeduricchie i ssíerpe
assuche l’umme ngúerpe,
la péne che me sèrre.

Elsewhere
        The soul is a stranger, on the earth.
                        Georg Trakl


Where is my home, the refuge
of the soul? By my father,
where I was born, now stray
and isolated, a foreigner
I return, who knows,
if somebody will recognize me.

Where I am now I don’t know
if I go without a destination
or I find myself pressed. Certainly
nobody chases me,
but I feel the foundation
sinking beneath my feet.

The soul in the earthquake
Is elsewhere, immobile.
At least with a wreath
Of black bryony berries
I wipe away the groaning inside me,
the pain that grips me.