November 3, 2019

Celebrating All Souls Day With My Ancestors

Photo by New York Scugnizzo
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
Saturday morning I visited the cemetery to be with my parents, grandparents, and other dearly departed on All Souls Day. A beautiful tradition, this was the first since my father’s passing. An emotional year to date, it was extremely gratifying to commune with him and my forbears, the way he taught me, in relative tranquility.

Naturally, I ran into a few elderly family members and friends who were visiting their own (and our shared) dead. Offering flowers and prayers, we made the rounds and visited each of our loved ones. As is the custom, we also prayed for all the poor and forgotten Souls in Purgatory.

As they left, my kith and kin each invited me to join them for lunch, but since I was fasting, I cordially declined and carried on with my prayers. A little behind in my visits of late, I just wanted to catch up and spend more quality time with those I sorely miss.

Strange as it may sound, this ritual is one of the main reasons I haven’t left New York City and it's seedy environs yet.(1) The idea of abandoning their graves is very upsetting to me. Sure I can pray for them anywhere, in fact a day doesn’t go by that I don’t, but it doesn’t feel nearly as intimate then when I’m by their graveside. Requiescant in pace.


~ Giovanni di Napoli, November 2nd, The Feast of All Souls
(1) The other problem is finding a tolerable location with a sizable Duosiciliani community and regular access to the traditional Latin Mass.