October 15, 2023

Feast of Santa Teresa de Ávila

Santa Teresa de Ávila, ora pro nobis
October 15th is the Feast of Santa Teresa de Ávila, Carmelite nun, Virgin and Mystic. A Doctor of the Church, she was a Carmelite reformer and founder of several convents of Discalced Nuns. Patroness of Spain, she is also the protector of the sick, orphans, lace makers and women in religious orders. In celebration, I’m posting a prayer to St. Teresa of Avila by St. Alphonsus Liguori. The accompanying photo of the Beatification of Saint Teresa of Avila was taken during my 2010 pilgrimage to the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Carmine in Sorrento, Campania. Evviva Santa Teresa!

Prayer to St. Teresa of Avila

O Saint Teresa, seraphic Virgin, beloved spouse of thy crucified Lord, thou who on earth didst burn with a love so intense toward thy God and my God, and now dost glow with a brighter and purer flame in paradise: obtain for me also, I beseech thee, a spark of that same holy fire which shall cause me to forget the world, all things created, and even myself; for thou didst ever avidly desire to see Him loved by all men. Grant that my every thought and desire and affection may be continually directed to doing the will of God, the supreme Good, whether I am in joy or in pain, for He is worthy to be loved and obeyed forever. Obtain for me this grace, thou who art so powerful with God; may I be all on fire, like thee, with the holy love of God. Amen.