March 4, 2018

First Friday, Way of the Cross, and Eucharistic Adoration

Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Friday morning I made my way through the sleet and slush to Saint Ephrem’s Church (929 Bay Ridge Pkwy.) in Dyker Heights, Brooklyn to celebrate Mass and fulfill my devotions.
For the third consecutive month of my First Friday Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, before the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, I conducted my Holy Hour of Reparation, which included the Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart by St. Margaret Mary Alacoque:
O Sacred Heart of Jesus, to Thee I consecrate and offer up my person and my life, my actions, trials, and sufferings, that my entire being may henceforth only be employed in loving, honoring and glorifying Thee. This is my irrevocable will, to belong entirely to Thee, and to do all for Thy love, renouncing with my whole heart all that can displease Thee. 
I take Thee, O Sacred Heart, for the sole object of my love, the protection of my life, the pledge of my salvation, the remedy of my frailty and inconstancy, the reparation for all the defects of my life, and my secure refuge at the hour of my death. Be Thou, O Most Merciful Heart, my justification before God Thy Father, and screen me from His anger which I have so justly merited. I fear all from my own weakness and malice, but placing my entire confidence in Thee, O Heart of Love, I hope all from Thine infinite Goodness. Annihilate in me all that can displease or resist Thee. Imprint Thy pure love so deeply in my heart that I may never forget Thee or be separated from Thee. 
I beseech Thee, through Thine infinite Goodness, grant that my name be engraved upon Thy Heart, for in this I place all my happiness and all my glory, to live and to die as one of Thy devoted servants. Amen.
Station XIII: Jesus is taken down from the Cross
After Mass, I joined the congregation in performing the Stations of the Cross. Beginning with His condemnation, we circled the nave on a mini pilgrimage imitating the Via Dolorosa (Sorrowful Way) in Jerusalem, praying and meditating on the 14 stations depicting the Crucifixion.
O Mary, Mother most sorrowful, the sword of grief pierced thy soul when thou didst see Jesus lying lifeless on thy bosom; obtain for me hatred of sin because sin slew thy Son and wounded thine own heart, and grace to live a Christian life and save my soul.
Monstrance with consecrated Eucharistic Host
Following the Stations, the Blessed Sacrament was exposed on the altar in an ornate monstrance for adoration. Sitting quietly in His Presence, I opened myself to His Graces and contemplated the Mystery of Christ before us. 
As St. Alphonsus Liguori teaches, 
“of all devotions, that of adoring Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament is the greatest after the Sacraments, the one dearest to God and the one most helpful to us.” 
So as not to disturb others, I waited for the church to empty before taking my pictures.