July 27, 2016

Requiescat in Pace: Fr. Jacques Hamel

Madonna dei martiri, Hoboken, NJ
Photo by New York Scugnizzo
The barbaric slaughter of Father Jacques Hamel during Mass in St.-Étienne-du-Rouvray, a suburb of Rouen, Normandy on July 26th was the latest in a spate of Islamic terror attacks. We pray for the victims and their families, but recognize prayer without action will not extirpate this scourge. We must rid ourselves of the corrupt, power hungry madmen who cling to spurious worldviews at our expense. The apologists and cowards need to be held accountable for their treachery.
May Saint Michael, Saint Ouen and Saint Joan of Arc protect and watch over you.
A Prayer to St. Joan of Arc
In the face of your enemies, in the face of harassment, ridicule, and doubt, you held firm in your faith. Even in your abandonment, alone and without friends, you held firm in your faith. Even as you faced your own mortality, you held firm in your faith. I pray that I may be as bold in my beliefs as you, St. Joan. I ask that you ride alongside me in my own battles. Help me be mindful that what is worthwhile can be won when I persist. Help me hold firm in my faith. Help me believe in my ability to act well and wisely. Amen. 
Also see:
A Prayer for Nice
A Prayer for Policemen
A Prayer for Brussels
Solidarité