October 9, 2014

A Look at the 111th Annual Feast of Saints Cosmas and Damian in Little Italy, New York

Evviva i Santi Medici! 
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
By Giovanni di Napoli

Sunday, October 5th, members of the Saints Cosmas and Damian Society of New York gathered at Most Precious Blood Church in New York City’s historic Little Italy to celebrate the 111th Annual Feast in honor of Saints Cosmas and Damian, patron saints of San Cosmo Albanese, a small town in the Province of Cosenza in Calabria. Morning Mass was celebrated with long-time pastor Father Fabian Grifone, who happily continues to serve the parish, even though he is technically “retired.” 

Normally the statues of the healing saints are kept in a cramped niche at the rear of the church, so I was delighted to finally see them on full display by the altar. Talking to members, I was told the statues were made in Naples in 1903 and bear a strong likeness to the originals in Calabria. As always, it was a real treat to speak with some of the older members and listen to their stories about life in Calabria, the United States and, of course, the Feast. I can only imagine how grand the celebration must have been in its heyday. 

While there are fewer people than in the past, the fervor and devotion has not diminished. The celebrants are here for all the right reasons: faith, family and community.

After Mass, I was generously invited to join them for lunch at the party in the Church auditorium. Although tempted by the many tantalizing trays of food and a chance to experience Arbëreshë culture firsthand, I had to decline due to a prior commitment. I'm sure with all the excitement in the air I missed a terrific party.

I want to thank Frank, George, Steve, Gus and all the members of the society for taking time from their busy schedule to talk to me and make me feel welcome. They are terrific group and I was honored to celebrate Mass with them. I look forward to celebrating with them again next year and learning more about their society. Evviva i Santi Medici!
After Mass devotees pin donations on to the Saints
Proud papa John Cordi brings little Rocco to his first Feast
The 1923 standard stands outside Most Precious Blood Church
Members pose with the society standard
The Sapia and Minisci families celebrate their heritage
After Mass partygoers fill the auditorium for the celebratory lunch