July 31, 2014

A Look Inside the Santa Febronia Chapel, Hoboken, New Jersey

Evviva Santa Febronia!
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
By Giovanni di Napoli

During Saturday’s Saint Ann Procession through Hoboken, New Jersey (see upcoming post), we made several stops along the way. Some were simply for food and water, while others were to offer a benediction outside the homes of sick, elderly and deceased relatives who could not be with us. To my delight, near the end of the Procession we paid our respects at the historic Santa Febronia Chapel on 557 Fifth Street, between Monroe and Madison streets, before returning to Saint Ann's Church.

Dedicated to Santa Febronia di Patti and the Madonna di Tindari, the chapel was built by Sicilian immigrants who founded the Societá di Mutuo Soccorso Santa Febronia Patti e Circondario in 1922. Once a flourishing house of devotion and community center, changes in demographics and faith have taken its toll on the aging society and its ability to maintain our traditions. From what I’ve been told, the chapel is only opened two or three times a year.

My friends informed me beforehand we would be making a brief visit to the chapel, and, knowing my interests, I should not miss it. I could tell by their excitement that I was in for something special, but their descriptions did no justice to how amazing it really is. The statues of Santa Febronia and the Madonna Nera blew me away. Although stylistically different, both are wonderful expressions of southern Italian faith and devotion. After a short stop, the Procession continued along its course. 

Afterward, I wanted to get a better look at the chapel and its magnificent collection of artifacts, so I returned posthaste. Luckily for me it was still open. Just beating the rain, I found it empty, so I had a chance to sit alone in quiet reflection, say a prayer for my ancestors, then take a few pictures and get a better look at the treasures on display. One of many highlights, it was a real privilege for me to see this old-world oasis in the heart of Hoboken.
Societá di Mutuo Soccorso Santa Febronia Chapel on Fifth Street 
A view from the nave
The chancel 
Santa Febronia di Patti seen from multiple angles
Evviva Maria! 
La Madonna Nera seen from multiple angles
A close up of the heads 
A close up of the infant Jesus’ hands
The society standard behind the Madonna Nera 
Santa Lucia to the left of the Madonna di Tindari 
Candle stand to the right of Santa Febronia 
Encased in glass, the Dead Christ is enshrined behind the altar 
The East Wall