September 8, 2010

Il Dolce Far Niente (The Sweetness of Doing Nothing)

The Lamentation by Corrado Giaquinto
(Naples 1703-66) Dating from the 1740s,
this painting shows the Madonna mourning
the death of Christ. Photos by New York Scugnizzo
By Giovanni di Napoli
Whenever given the opportunity, I try to enjoy the finer things in life. So when I found myself off from work this past Thursday (September 2, 2010) I took the time to partake in one of my favorite pastimes, visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Since it was a weekday and my family and friends were all at work anyway, I didn't want to waste the day by doing mundane chores.
To some, visiting a museum may seem like a wasted day, but for me (an aspiring artist) it’s a thought-provoking experience that inspires and lifts my spirits. Every once in a while I need to disconnect from the rat race and tend to my soul. It’s also one of the ways I like to keep in touch with my heritage, which, in my opinion, is infinitely more important and enjoyable than watching television or going shopping.
Luckily, I didn't miss the exhibit, An Italian Journey: Correggio to Tiepolo, showcasing 16th to 18th century old master drawings from the impressive Julie and David Tobey Collection, which ends September 18, 2010. While perusing the gallery I was fortunate to see several drawings by two of my favorite Southern Italian Titans, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Salvator Rosa. I especially liked Rosa’s Six Men in a Landscape (pen and brown ink), ca 1652. This unexpected treat alone made the visit worthwhile.
Afterward, I made my usual rounds. First, I went to the European painting and sculpture galleries on the second floor. This is a must see. The Museum boasts one of the most significant collections of masterworks by Europe's principle artists, including some of the best Southern Italy has to offer.
Tobit Burying the Dead by Andrea de Lione (Naples 1610-85). Executed in Rome during the 1640s this painting shows Tobit (in cloak) burying the Jews that were killed outside the city of Nineveh by King Sennacherib (Tobit I:17-20)
There were a few changes since my last visit: Andrea de Lione's Tobit Burying the Dead (oil on canvas) and Corrado Giaquinto's The Lamentation (oil on canvas) are gratefully back on display. However, the Saint Catherine of Alexandria, attributed to the workshop of Bernardo Cavallino, and Salvator Rosa's Self Portrait are unfortunately no longer on view.
Saint Catherine of Alexandria (artist unknown). Perhaps painted in 1650 this canvas depicts the fourth-century martyr behind a torture device. Painted in the style of the great Bernardo Cavallino (Naples 1616-56), but lacking his quintessential touches it's attributed to the Neapolitan's atelier.
In due course I made my way down to the first floor to admire the museum's wondrous Byzantine, Medieval, Greek and Roman art installations. Highlights included, Limestone Head of a Bearded Man (Jupiter?), Seated woman playing a kithara and Gold "Augustalis" of Frederick II Hohenstaufen.
(Top) Seated woman playing a kithara. Roman, Late Republican, ca. 40-30 B.C.
One of three large frescos (megalographia) excavated from the reception hall in P. Fannius Synistor's villa in Boscoreale, just north of Pompeii. The town was buried during the eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. This painting, celebrating a dynastic marriage, depicts an enthroned woman (possibly a Macedonian queen), wearing diadem and playing a kithara. The child behind her may be a member of the ruling family. 

(Bottom left) Limestone Head of a Bearded Man, Jupiter
Southern Italian, possibly Apulia. Carved 1200-1300

(Bottom right) Gold "Augustalis" of Frederick II Hohenstaufen 
Minted about 1230-50 in Messina, Sicily
Temporarily sated, I headed home looking forward to sharing my pleasurable experiences with loved ones over dinner and some wine. While I enjoy my solitary excursions, spending time with family and good friends is just as important to me. Time is a valuable resource that, once spent, can never be retrieved. Beauty and love are the finer things in life, so my day of leisure was time well spent.
* * *
Upcoming Exhibit
Italy Observed: Views and Souvenirs, 1706-1899
October 12, 2010 — January 2, 2011 in the Robert Lehman Wing

This installation will include a Neapolitan album of gouache drawings documenting the eruption of Vesuvius in 1794.