January 28, 2024

Remembering Papal Zouave Philippe Marie Jean de Vassal-Cadillac

Philippe Marie Jean de Vassal-Cadillac
Born on August 14, 1850, Philippe Marie Jean de Vassal-Cadillac joined the Papal Zouaves in February 1868 at the age of 18. He was promoted to Sergeant in November 1869. 

The outbreak of the Franco-Prussian War in July, 1870 led France to enact a conscription. Jean was one of those conscripted so he was forced to resign from the unit in August 1870.


Jean became Sergeant Fournier in the French Mobiles and was then promoted to Lieutenant in the 119th Line Infantry Regiment.


During the 2nd Battle of Dijon on December 18, 1870, he received two gunshot wounds and was seriously injured. Never truly recovering, he died in Angers on January 28, 1873.


The above portrait comes from my personal collection and once belonged to the Vassal-Cadillac family.


Archduchess Maria Theresa
On the back is an additional portrait of the Countess of Chambord Maria Theresa of Austria-Este, the wife of legitimist French King, Henry V.

I also have Jeaan's Papal Zouave Manual Prayer Book. Page 117 is circled which includes a prayer of thanksgiving after Communion and instructions on how to receive an indulgence.


Below is the translation.


ACT OF KINDNESS    


The tenderest and most generous of friends! what could now separate me from you, after you have given me such touching proof of your love? Ah! I renounce with all my heart what had taken me away from you; and I propose, with the help of your grace, to fall no more into faults which have so often afflicted your heart. 


Papal Zouave Manual prayer book
Those who, after going to confession and after receiving Holy Communion, recite the following Prayer before an image of the Crucifix, can gain a plenary indulgence and deliver a soul from purgatory.  (Pius VII, April 10, 1821.)

O good and sweetest Jesus, before Thy face I humbly kneel, and with all fervour of soul I pray and beseech Thee to vouchsafe to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope, and charity, true contrition for my sins, and a most firm purpose of amendment; whilst I contemplate with great sorrow and love Thy five Wounds, and ponder them over in my mind, having before my eyes the words which, long ago, David the prophet spoke in his own person concerning Thee, my JesusFoderunt manus Meas et pedes Meos; dinumeraverunt omnia ossa Mea.*


Five Paters and five Aves are then said, for the ordinary intentions of the Holy Church, to receive the plenary indulgence.


By Brendan Cassell (Papal Zouave History @PapalZouaveUS)


They dug My hands and My feet; they numbered all My bones.