January 1, 2024

Feast of the Circumcision of Our Lord

Circoncisione di Gesù
January 1st is the Solemnity of the Circumcision of Our Lord. A Holy Day of Obligation, we recall the ritual circumcision (the symbol of the covenant between God and Abraham and his descendants) and the formal naming of Jesus on the Octave Day of His Nativity. The event also marks the first time the precious blood of Christ was shed, foreshadowing the blood He poured out for us on Golgotha.


In celebration, I’m posting a Prayer for the Feast of the Circumcision. The accompanying photo of the Circoncisione di Gesù by Belisario Corenzio at the Duomo di Salerno comes courtesy of Andrew Giordano.
Prayer for the Feast of the Circumcision 
O most sweet Infant Jesus, who at the expiration of eight days didst submit to be circumcised, receiving the holy name of Jesus, and becoming, in virtue of that name and by the shedding of that blood, the Saviour of the world, I prostrate myself humbly before Thee, and thank Thee with all my heart for this Thy great mercy and love to me and to all poor sinners. The sight of this Thy blood reminds me hopefully of the source whence flows every grace, every grace which will be imparted to me during the year; and also of the asylum where I will seek shelter and aid in every tribulation. It is Thy heart, dear Lord, which was opened to me in this first shedding of Thy blood. Therefore I devote to Thee, O sweetest, dearest Heart, every word and deed, every throb of my heart, all that I do or suffer during this year. Accept my offering, and strengthen me with Thy grace; enlighten and shield me, and grant me in virtue of Thy name, that most holy, most efficacious name of Jesus, this my request (mention your intention) Hear me, oh! Jesus, for the sake of this Thy name and of Thy loving heart! Amen.