July 12, 2012

The Giglio Lights Up the Night Sky of Williamsburg

A Beacon of Tradition
(Photos by New York Scugnizzo)
Some friends and I returned to Williamsburg, Brooklyn yesterday for the night lifting of the giglio at the 125th annual Feast of San Paolino outside Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Needless to say, we had a great time. The weather was great, spirits were high and the giglio was rockin'. 
Mark and his son Gino enjoying the festivities
Up until now I’ve focused primarily on the giglio itself, but as one reader reminded me, a feast is not a feast without the food. Yesterday's night lift gave me the perfect opportunity to highlight (and eat) some of the feast’s delicious southern Italian delicacies.

Antipasto: I started my night with a dozen clams
from Lou’s Fried Seafood and Clam Bar
Primi Piatti: Who could resist a freshly made calzone?
Secondi Piatti: Next up was the obligatory sausage and peppers
Dolce: Young ladies serve up some delicious zeppole to sate my sweet tooth