October 12, 2010

Homeland to Home

Regional pride on display at the 2010 NYC Columbus Day Parade.

As expected my trip to Naples was amazing and far too short, but I'm glad to be back. In addition to being fun and relaxing it was also productive and spiritual. I was finally able to get my hands on a copy of Pino Aprile’s Terroni and made a pilgrimage to Piazza Vittoria (Victory Square) for the anniversary of the Battle of Lepanto (October 7, 1571). It’s tempting to write about it all, but there is far too much information for a casual post. I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences in more detail in the near future. Luckily I returned just in time to see the 2010 NYC Columbus Day Parade.

Copies of Terroni and la colanna spezzata (the broken column),
a monument for lost sailors by Piazza Vittoria.

I always enjoy the parade, but this year was a pleasant surprise. I saw more participants from Southern Italy marching and displaying their regional pride. Highlights included floats with beautiful sirens from Campania, a smoking replica of Mt. Vesuvius with dancers, and the Riace Warriors from Calabria.
UNICO National, the largest Italian-American service organization in the U.S.A., was also well represented. Many local chapters were in attendance, and they included a company of talented young folk dancers. UNICO does a very good job fighting against anti-Italian defamation.

(L-R) UNICO members marching in force down 5th Ave, a lovely folk-dancer,
and UNICO National president Andre DiMino.

After the parade a friend and I visited the Heroes: Mortals and Myths in Ancient Greece exhibition at the Onassis Cultural Center (OCC) at 645 5th Ave. With my recent trip to the National Archaeological Museum of Naples, the temples of Paestum and the ruins of Pompeii, you would think that I had seen enough Greco-Roman relics and artwork, but I never seem to tire of it. The OCC never disappoints me; they continuously and generously provide quality exhibits to the public, free of charge. Among my favorite displays from this visit was a red-figure amphora from Campania depicting both a battle and a wedding ceremony, and a marble bust of the Cyclops Polyphemos. Heroes will run until January 3rd, 2011.

(L-R) Metope showing Herakles Slaying the giant Alkyoneus (Paestum Archaeological Museum), Temple of Athena (Poseidonia), Painting of Thesues
the Liberator (Museo Archeological Nazionale di Napoli)

What better way to finish a great day than with a great meal? In an attempt to share the flavor of my recent trip with my friend, we dined at Naples 28 pizzeria on Carmine St. in Manhattan. Between the staff and the quality of the food, it was as close as I could get to authentic Neapolitan cuisine in the area.

(L-R) Pizza in Napoli and at Naples 28.
(All photos by New York Scugnizzo)