June 27, 2023

Feast of San Ladislao I d'Ungheria

San Ladislao I d'Ungheria, ora pro nobis
June 27th is the Feast of St. Ladislaus I of Hungary (1040-1095), the Knight-King. Revered as a model king, St. Ladislaus lived a devout and virtuous life filled with prayer and study. Spreading the Christian faith throughout his realms of Hungary and Croatia, he was a just and wise legal and cultural reformer who supported the Benedictine Order, embellished churches and defended his lands from Cuman invasions. Following the Seljuk incursion into the Holy Land, the warrior saint prepared his forces to take part in the First Crusade, but he fell seriously ill and died in Nitra, Slovakia in 1095.

In celebration, we’re posting a prayer to St. Ladislaus I of Hungary. The accompanying photo comes courtesy of Father Eugene Carrella. The holy card is part of Father Carrella’s impressive collection of religious artifacts. Evviva San Ladislao I d'Ungheria!

Prayer to St. Ladislaus I of Hungary

Grant, we beseech Thee, almighty God, that the examples of St. Ladislaus I of Hungary may effectually move us to reform our lives; that while we celebrate his feast, we may also imitate his actions. Look upon our weakness, almighty God, and since the burden of our own deeds weighs heavily upon us, may the glorious intercession of St. Ladislaus protect us. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.