June 16, 2023

Feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus

Sacro Cuore di Gesù in Napoli
The Feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus (Sacro Cuore di Gesù) is celebrated nineteen days after Pentecost Sunday in reparation for the indignities and sins committed against Our Lord. The devotion has its origins in the eleventh century, but only became widespread in 1690 after the death of its principal exponent St. Margaret Mary Alacoque. First celebrated in 1670, the Feast was eventually extended to the whole church by Pope Pius IX in 1856. The counter-revolutionary movements of the 18th and 19th centuries—such as the Royalists of the Vendée during the French Revolution and the Pontifical Zouaves during the so-called Italian Risorgimento, among others—were steadfastly loyal to the devotion. In celebration, I'm posting the Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart by St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, The accompanying photo of the Sacred Heart was taken at the Chiesa di San Ferdinando in Piazza San Ferdinando during my 2007 pilgrimage to Napoli.
Act of Consecration to the Sacred Heart of Jesus 
O Sacred Heart of Jesus, to Thee I consecrate and offer up my person and my life, my actions, trials, and sufferings, that my entire being may henceforth only be employed in loving, honoring and glorifying Thee. This is my irrevocable will, to belong entirely to Thee, and to do all for Thy love, renouncing with my whole heart all that can displease Thee. I take Thee, O Sacred Heart, for the sole object of my love, the protection of my life, the pledge of my salvation, the remedy of my frailty and inconstancy, the reparation for all the defects of my life, and my secure refuge at the hour of my death. Be Thou, O Most Merciful Heart, my justification before God Thy Father, and screen me from His anger which I have so justly merited. I fear all from my own weakness and malice, but placing my entire confidence in Thee, O Heart of Love, I hope all from Thine infinite Goodness. Annihilate in me all that can displease or resist Thee. Imprint Thy pure love so deeply in my heart that I may never forget Thee or be separated from Thee. I beseech Thee, through Thine infinite Goodness, grant that my name be engraved upon Thy Heart, for in this I place all my happiness and all my glory, to live and to die as one of Thy devoted servants. Amen.