March 19, 2013

Feast of San Giuseppe

San Giuseppe, ora pro nobis
March 19th is Saint Joseph's Day. As a carpenter and spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary and foster-father of the Infant Jesus, he is the patron saint of workers and protector of the family. He is also invoked in the fight against Communism and the grace of a happy death. 

In Sicily the day is popularly celebrated with La Tavulata di San Giuseppe or Saint Joseph's Table. Dating back to Medieval times, the ritual meal is held in honor of the Saint's intercession during an especially bad famine. According to legend, a severe drought struck the island inflicting widespread suffering and starvation. Saint Joseph answered the peoples' prayers and relieved them from the dreadful plight. 

Eternally grateful, a special feast was prepared by wealthy families to help those less fortunate. Fava beans are a staple because it is said the hardy vegetable was the only food that would grow during the famine. Toasted breadcrumbs are sometimes sprinkled over pasta dishes, which symbolizes sawdust from Saint Joseph's workshop. Other delicacies include sculpted breads (Pane di San Giuseppe) and the famous sfinci di San Giuseppe, decadent cream puffs filled with sweetened ricotta, chocolate and candied fruits. Traditionally meat is not served during the Feast because it takes place during Lent. The celebration is still observed by devout Sicilians around the world and variations of the Table are found in Campania, Puglia and other places in Southern Italy.

In the South, Saint Joseph's Day also serves as Father's Day (Festa del Papa). It's a wonderful opportunity for us to show appreciation to our fathers and honor our forefathers. 

In celebration, I'm posting a Prayer to Saint Joseph. The accompanying photo of the Saint was taken during my 2010 pilgrimage to the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Carmine in Sorrento, Campania. Evviva San Giuseppe!

~ Giovanni di Napoli, March 18th, Feast of St. Cyril of Jerusalem

Prayer to Saint Joseph

Blessed St. Joseph, I consecrate myself to your honor and give myself to you, that you may always be my father, my protector and my guide in the way of salvation. Obtain for me great purity of heart and a fervent love of the interior life. After your example, may I perform my actions for the greater Glory of God, in union with the Divine Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Pray for me, Saint Joseph, that I may experience the peace and joy of your holy death. Amen.