July 13, 2017

Getting a Head Start on the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Evviva Maria!
Unable to wait for Sunday's Feast Day Mass, I started my celebration for the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel a little early Tuesday evening and stopped by the outdoor shrine at the Shrine Church of Our lady of Mount Carmel (275 N 8th St.) in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Installed by the church entrance this year, I pinned my donation onto the statue of the Blessed Mother, lit a votive candle and made my usual intercessory prayers for the happy repose of the souls of my ancestors before getting prayer cards and scapulars for friends and loved-ones.
Curious to see how the church renovations turned out, I was more than a little disappointed to see so many saints missing from the side chapel. I hope they are just being restored and will return to their rightful spots. It would be a huge letdown to lose all those beautiful statues.
This year's giglio and boat (Photos by New York Scugnizzo)
For the first time in many years I did not make it to Giglio Sunday, so before leaving I made it a point to visit the boat and spire, and they were as beautiful as ever. Knowing the zealousness of the paranza, I’m sure the lift was spectacular. Just thinking about the throng of spirited revelers cheering on the men as they shouldered the boat and giglio in front of the church gave me gooseflesh. The famed “Double Lift” is unquestionably the pinnacle of this glorious spectacle.
Luckily, there will be another lift this Saturday, July 15th during Old-Timers Day at 4pm. The festival comes to a close Sunday, July 16th on the Feast Day of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Mass will be celebrated at 11AM, procession to follow.