January 4, 2017

Celebrating the Feast of the Most Holy Name of Jesus in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn

After Mass the faithful recited the Litany
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
I revisited my childhood neighborhood Monday afternoon for the titular Feast of the Most Holy Name of Jesus at Holy Name of Jesus Church (245 Prospect Park West) in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn. The Missa Cantata, or Sung Mass, in the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite was celebrated by Rev. Seán Connolly of the Archdiocese of New York. We concluded the Mass by praying the Litany of the Holy Name of Jesus.
The high altar by James Renwick Jr., Architect 1881 (restored 2014)
Detail of the high altar with (l.-r.) St. Patrick, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Benedict, St. Boniface, St. Pope Gregory the Great and St. Augustine of Hippo
The crèche in front of the Altar of Sacrifice
The Renwick bye-altars to (l.) St. Joseph and (r.) the Virgin Mary
The organ in the choir loft with Rose Window in background
Afterward, my friends and I exchanged Christmas presents. I received David Adam Smith's new CD, Two-Part Motets. Anyone interested in this polyphonic treasure can purchase a copy at DASWorks.com. I highly recommend it