November 6, 2014

Downtown Brooklyn’s Newest Hotspot

Forno Rosso, Pizzeria Napoletana and Bar
Executive Chef Giuseppe Marrone 
presents one of his masterpieces
By Giovanni di Napoli

I was grumbling recently to a co-worker about the lack of quality eateries near our office. Luckily for me, she had just discovered a new wood oven pizzeria called Forno Rosso (Red Oven) and, knowing how picky I am about pizza, recommended that I check it out.

Excited to try something new, my colleagues and I visited the new establishment with high hopes. Warmly greeted, we were promptly seated and taken care of by a friendly and attentive wait staff. If the familiar smells and the smiling faces of the patrons around us weren’t enough, the Bourbon flag prominently displayed on the wall above the traditional Neapolitan wood oven told me I was in the right spot before I even took my first bite.


For connoisseurs, Forno Rosso is a welcome addition to Downtown Brooklyn’s burgeoning Neapolitan pizza scene. Chef and owner Giuseppe Marrone has brought authentic Neapolitan fare to life in this rapidly changing neighborhood.

A taste of Naples at Forno Rosso
Located at 327 Gold Street, Forno Rosso’s spacious dining area with high ceilings and skylights offers a relaxed and easygoing atmosphere reminiscent of the unpretentious pizzeria’s I frequented in Campania. More importantly, the classic dishes stay true to their roots by using only the finest ingredients, bringing me back not only to my beloved Napoli, but also to my grandmother’s kitchen in Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn. Not surprisingly, many of Giuseppe’s dishes are cherished recipes handed down from his nonna

As one would expect, I’ve become a regular and enjoy working my way through the menu and daily specials. The food is always delicious, the service is excellent, and the prices are modest.

Without a doubt, my favorite dishes were the frittatina di pasta, savory fried macaroni balls (think rice balls, but with macaroni) and perfectly cooked paccheri pasta with a complex and tasty wild boar ragù.

Boasting a full bar, Forno Rosso is sure to become a neighborhood favorite for locals and company outings alike.

I wish Giuseppe, his partners and staff, all the best in their new endeavor. May the red oven burn bright with success for many years.

Highlights from Forno Rosso's official Grand Opening Party:
(L-R) Manager Giulio, pizzaiolo Ciro, chef-owner Giuseppe and friend Alberto
(L-R) Ciro, Giulio, Michele, Giuseppe and Stefano
Opening night was a huge success
Therese (above) and the boys (below) are a hardworking, friendly staff
(L-R) Alessandro, Giuseppe and Alan
Crispy flat bread with lentils in olive oil
Panzarotti (crocchè di patate), potato croquettes
Involtini di Melanzane, Eggplant Rollatini
Classic Pizza Margherita
Perfectly cooked paccheri with veal ragù
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
Forno Rosso ★★★★★
327 Gold Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 451-3800

www.fornorossonyc.com
Eat@fornorossonyc.com