August 8, 2014

Celebrating a Hundred Years of Devotion to Sant'Agrippina di Mineo in Boston, Mass. (Part 1)

Evviva Sant'Agrippina! 
Photos by New York Scugnizzo
By Giovanni di Napoli
I returned to Boston, Massachusetts last weekend for the highly anticipated 100th Anniversary of the Feast of Sant'Agrippina di Mineo. Part of me was a little sad that I was going to miss the Feast of Saint Rocco in Glen Cove and the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Bergen Beach, but you only get one opportunity to celebrate a Feast’s centennial. Besides, no matter how much I would like to, there is no way I can attend them all.
After checking into my guesthouse and settling in, I purchased a CharlieCard at the nearest subway station and made my way to Boston’s North End via the Green Line. Exiting at Haymarket Station, I made my way up Hanover Street towards the Sant'Agrippina di Mineo Clubhouse (459 Hanover St.). Unsure of what to expect, my excitement grew as I got closer to the familiar sights, sounds and smells of the Feast. Feeling the electricity in the air, I quickly realized that I was in for something special and whatever reservations I felt about missing the other Feasts was soon put to rest.
Arriving just in time for the parade, I found a spot on the crowded sidelines and watched as the festive participants marched on by. Making its way through the bustling neighborhood the marchers gave us a taste of what was in store for us during the next day’s celebration. Impressively, the “warmup” was larger than many other Feast’s regular parades.
Immediately afterward, I visited the outdoor chapel to pin my donation and say a prayer. As always, members of the society were extremely friendly and happy to talk to me. Answering all of my questions, they offered me advice on what to keep a sharp look out for during the Procession. I was pleasantly surprised by the relative youth of the members and happy to see so many young people pitch in and get involved with the rituals. 
Famished (I hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast), it was time to try some of my favorite festival foods. Starting with some raw clams, I made my usual progression to the obligatory sausage and peppers sandwich. This was followed by a delicious rice ball, stuffed with meat and peas, and smothered in gravy (i.e. marinara). Of course there is no better way to finish off a Sicilian meal than with a freshly made cannoli and espresso. 
Needing a breather, I took a short stroll to historic Sacred Heart Italian Church on the corner of Sun and Moon Streets in North Square, America's oldest public square. During my last visit to Beantown the church was closed, but luckily this time around I was able to enter and explore the amazing interior of the upper church and smaller devotional chapel downstairs containing shrines to Sant’Antonio, Santa Lucia, Santa Rosalia, Our Lady of Pompeii, and the Madonna Addolorata, among others.

After a short rest and a moment of silent prayer, I decided to go back to the Feast. Timed just right, I caught the parade on its way back to the chapel. Upon our return Father Santo (one of several special guests of honor visiting from Mineo, Sicily) offered a benediction. Following the prayer, devotees lined up to kiss the relic (pinkie bone) of Sant'Agrippina on display in an ornate silver reliquary. 
Completely sated, I said my goodbyes and returned to my lodgings looking forward to the next day’s festivities (See part 2).
(Above and below) Members carry the Sant'Agrippina di Mineo Society standards during the parade
The color guard wow the crowd with their flag twirling skills
Sons of Italy Drum and Bugle Corps of Haverhill, Massachusetts
Hanover Street was packed with revelers 
Young devotees eager to carry the saint
Amanda and Justin show their support
There was no shortage of delicious food and friendly faces at the Feast
Deep fried calamari, always a favorite
Sausage and peppers, the quintessential street fare
There were plenty of macaroni dishes to choose from
Freshly made cannoli for dessert
Arancini, a Sicilian masterpiece
Dominic and Justin led the parade back to the chapel
Father Santo with the relic of Sant'Agrippina
A look at the outdoor chapel