October 21, 2009

A Day of High Culture


(L-R) Terracotta statuettes of dancing women (3rd-2nd century B.C.),
Terracotta head of Artemis (3rd century B.C.),
Terracotta heads of wreathed women (3rd century B.C.)


(Left) Campanian Bronze statuette
of male figure (ca. 500-450 B.C.),
Bronze statuette of Siren (ca. 500 B.C.)
Last Sunday I visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art to pay homage to the great Neapolitan Baroque painter Luca Giordano for his birthday. While I wandered through the museum's galleries and contemplated the eclectic collection I found myself being drawn back to the Art of Southern Italy, as if summoned by the Siren's seductive song. No matter how many times I visit the museum I never get tired of it. I always discover something new.

I took some photos of their Southern Italian collection and I thought I would share a few of them with you.

By New York Scugnizzo


Bronze helmet (mid 4th–mid 3rd century B.C.),
Apulian terracotta vase with Gorgoneion (late 4th–early 3rd century B.C.), Terracotta hydria from Campania (ca. 350-320 B.C.)


(L-R) Pilate Washing His Hands by Mattia Preti (1613-1699),
Self-Portrait by Salvator Rosa (1615-1673)


Landscape with Mercury and Argus by Salvator Rosa (1615-1673),
Tobit Burying the Dead by Andrea di Lione (1610-1685),
Lucanian wall painting of a mounted warrior (mid-4th century B.C.)

Photos by New York Scugnizzo