January 6, 2023

Buona Epifania!

The "witches' brew" from Benevento
Ecce advénit Dominátor Dóminus: et regnum in manu ejus, et potéstas, et impérium. Psalm 71. 1 Dues, judícium tuum Regi da: et justítiam tuam Fílio Regis. V. Glória Patri. Ecce advénit Dominátor Dóminus.
[1] 

At Midnight, after placing the Three Magi into our presepe (crèche), I had a celebratory shot of Liquore Strega for la Befana (a benevolent witch in search of the Christ Child who leaves presents in the socks of good little boys and girls on the Epiphany) and said my prayers before hitting the hay.


In the morning when I awoke, I was overjoyed to learn that I'm still not too old to receive gifts from the old crone. To my delight, I found a couple of books I’ve been meaning to acquire [Romanesque Sculpture in Campania by Dorothy F. Glass and Sanctity and Pilgrimage in Medieval Southern Italy by Paul Oldfield] and a pair of tins filled with torrone, a sweet nut and nougat confection. 


Made in Sicily, the beautiful tins are decorated to look like traditional Sicilian carts (Carretto Siciliano), renowned for their colorful depictions of the heroic Orlando, and Emperor Charlemagne and his Paladins battling the Saracens from the 11th-century chanson de geste, The Song of Roland.

This year's Epiphany presents
Each tin had a different battle scene on the cover
Mounted paladins battling against the Saracens
The side of the tin embellished with a Trinacria,
the three-legged goddess symbolizing Sicily
After First Friday Mass and Adoration, I performed the traditional rite for the blessing of a home during Epiphanytide with my Epiphany water, salt, and blessed chalk. For protection against evil and to bear witness to our faith, I inscribed the initials 20+C+M+B+23 over my doorways. The characters stand for the calendar year (i.e. 2023) and Christus Mansionem Benedicat, which means “Christ bless this house.” The letters also represent the traditional names of the Three Magi, Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar.

I chalked the traditional blessing over my doorways

Buona Epifania and God Bless you all.


[1] Behold the Lord the Ruler is come: and the kingdom is in His hand, and power, and dominion. Psalm 71. 1 Give to the King Thy judgment, O God: and to the King’s Son Thy justice. V. Glory be to the Father. Behold the Lord the Ruler is Come. ~ Introit Malachias 3. 1; Paralipomena 29. 12