March 11, 2022

Meridiunalata XXVIII: Era Marzo by Cav. Charles Sant'Elia

Reprinted from Cav. Charles Sant'Elia's Meridiunalata/Southernade, an evocative bilingual (Neapolitan/ English) collection of poetry written between 1989 and 2010.*

Era Marzo


Era marzo e 'o tiempo passava

Pisante arret' 'e lastre,

Nchiuvato mmiez'a l'ore i' rummanevo,

E tu me sapive vulè troppo bene.

Turnavo a casa e me sciacquavo

'A faccia, l'acqua era assaje fredda,

Me scetava comme 'o viento 'e fora,

E recitavo n'ata vota 'o nomme tujo.

Quanta primmavere se ne sò ghiute

E i' te canto 'e stesse canzone,

Ma mo nun 'e siente overamente

Ca nun nce staje chiù,

Nun è sulo ca faje nfenta 'e nun senti,

Tu int' 'a sti braccia nun può turnà.

È pisante 'o tiempo arret' 'e lastre.


It was March


It was March and time was passing

Heavily behind the window panes,

Fixed firmly between the hours I remained,

And you knew how to love me too much.

I was returning home and I rinsed

My face, the water was so cold,

It woke me like the wind outside,

I was reciting your name again.

How many springs have faded away

And I sing you the same songs,

But now you truly don't hear them

For you are no longer here,

It is not just that you pretend not to hear,

You in these arms can not return.

Time is heavy behind the window panes.


* Self-published in 2010, Meridiunalata/Southernade is a treasury of poems gleaned from Cav. Sant'Elia's previous collections (Nchiuso dint''o presente'A cuntrora, and 'O pino e l'éllera), which were circulated among friends in New York City and Naples. Special thanks to Cav. Sant'Elia for allowing us to reprint his poetry and translations.