January 24, 2020

Commemorating the Death of King Louis XVI of France, the Feast of Sant’Agnese, and My Birthday

Partygoers take a group pic before saying sayonara to Hiro
Domine salvum fac Regem et exaudi nos in die qua invocaverimus te. 1

Tuesday, January 21st — Despite the proximity to my birthday, when my Sanfedisti brethren suggested we commemorate the death of King Louis XVI of France (1754-1793), I expected to do just that. Busting out my framed portrait of the King and printing out copies of the old motet Domine, salvum fac Regem (Lord, save the King) in Latin and English, little did I know they were going to surprise me with a birthday dinner.

In hindsight, I should have suspected something when they suggested going to Hiro’s, a quaint little Japanese restaurant in Lyndhurst, New Jersey. Even though it seemed like a strange choice of venue for the commemoration, I didn’t want to be difficult and just went along with the program. Personally, I would have preferred a nice French bistro, but to be honest the few I’m familiar with would probably have been less suitable considering the kitschy drapeau français decor and all the liberté, égalité, fraternité nonsense. (I have the same misgivings whenever I see the tricolore at an Italian restaurant.)
(L) Portrait of HM King Louis XVI of France. (R) Opening the gifts.
As happy as I was they wanted to celebrate my birthday, I was really looking forward to commemorating the martyred French Monarch and the Feast of St. Agnes. Setting the picture up at the table, we handed out the prayer sheets and said grace. Since our buddy Lorenzo is the most proficient in Latin he also led us in saying the prayers for St. Agnes and King Louis.

A BYOB restaurant, we came well prepared. Opening the wine, we made frequent toasts to the kings of yore, the saints, and friendship. Since I’m no connoisseur of Japanese cuisine, and I have no problem eating anything, I left the ordering to my hungry companions Andrew and Carmine, who seemingly ordered the entire menu as a wide range of sushi, sashimi and other delicious oriental delicacies steadily arrived at our table.
Reliquary with certificate of authenticity
After dinner, we polished off the rest of the wine, ate some unusual mochi ice cream, and opened a few gifts. In addition to the roisterous dinner, my friends gave me a much needed, though short-lived, bottle of Liqueur Strega. I was very surprised and deeply touched to receive a reliquary containing two small stones from the Apparition Grotto at the Santuario di San Michele Arcangelo in Gargano, Puglia. Knowing my deep devotion to the Prince of the Heavenly Host, Lorenzo brought back this little treasure from his recent pilgrimage to the Sanctuary.

Before calling it quits, we opened up the Strega and had the restaurant’s few remaining clientele (who happened to be a friendly group of Neapolitans and Calabrians from Rutherford, New Jersey) around our table in no time drinking and toasting the memory of the King. Viva ‘o Rre! and viva Sant'Agnese!

Wednesday, January 22nd — What better way to celebrate my actual birthday than by attending the Votive High Mass for Peace at the Shrine Church of the Holy Innocents (128 West 37th St.) in Manhattan? Arriving in time for the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament and Eucharistic Adoration, I sat in quiet contemplation. Thinking a lot lately about my parents and grandparents, I lit a few candles by the statues of our familial patrons—the Infant of Prague and St. Thérèse of Lisieux—and prayed for the poor and forgotten Souls in Purgatory.
St. Thérèse of Lisieux and the Infant of Prague at Holy Innocents
Fr. Michael C. Barone, Chaplain for the Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Newark, New Jersey and the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of St. George, celebrated the Most Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Dutifully assisted by MC Eddie Toribio and several servers, the Schola Cantorum sounded extra good that evening.

After Mass, the faithful recited the prayers for the ongoing Church Unity Octave, also known as the Chair of Unity Octave. Offering my Holy Communion and Holy Mass for the intention, we prayed for the Conversion of America. This was soon followed by the parish’s perpetual Novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help and St. Joseph, which included a series of Indulgenced Prayers, Invocations, the Prayer to the Blessed Virgin by St. Alphonsus Ligouri, and the Daily Prayer to St. Joseph by Pope Leo XIII. Ending with the Benediction and reposition of the Blessed Sacrament, we had the opportunity to venerate the icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help at the altar rail.
My aunt baked me a Italian cheesecake
Truly blessed, back home I was treated to an incredible dinner by my loved ones. For as long as I can remember, my parents made me fresh cavatelli con ragù alla Napoletano and a homemade cake for my birthday. This being my first year without them, my aunt and uncle surprised me with a delicious home-cooked meal reminiscent of my parents.

~ Giovanni di Napoli, January 23rd, Feast of St. Emerentiana

Notes:
(1) Lord, save the King, and hear us when we call upon thee.