Photos courtesy of John Napoli
By Cav. John Napoli
I was deeply honored to be in East Harlem Friday night for the 132nd patronal feast at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church (448 E 116th Street). In addition to being my first official act on behalf of the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George, this was also my first time celebrating Our Lady of Mount Carmel at the pontifical shrine, one of the oldest Italian churches in New York City and home to the renowned coronated statue of the Blessed Mother (pictured above).
At midnight, we celebrated solemn Mass in the Extraordinary form. Arrayed in our distinctive church mantles, my confratelli and I took part in the entrance procession. Bearing the flag of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, we made the symbolic pilgrimage from the sacristy through the pact nave up to the altar while the congregation sang the opening hymn. Genuflecting before the tabernacle, we were seated in the sanctuary beneath the revered statue.
After Mass, we returned to the sacristy for the benediction. Retiring to the rectory, we mingled with the few remaining celebrants (Mass ended at 2 AM) and enjoyed some lite fare before departing.
Greetings to Phil, Bobby, Peter and the rest of our friends from the East Harlem Giglio Society who were in attendance, I hope to see you all again in August for the raucous Giglio di Sant'Antonio.
Many thanks to Fr. Marian Wierzchowski, Fr. Christopher Salvatori, Lorenzo, Antoinette and the rest of the Our Lady of Mount Carmel family for their warmth and hospitality. It was a privilege to be a part of your special day. Evviva Maria!
U.S. Delegate Cav. John Viola (second from left) with Cav. John Napoli, Cav. Charles Sant’Elia and Cav. Vincent Gangone
|The old processional painting in the rectory|
|The signed pontifical decree|
|The processional statue of Our Lady on display by the communion rail|
• A Look at the Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Newark, New Jersey
• A Badge of Honor
• For Altar and Throne: Investiture into the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
• Congratulations Vincent Gangone on Your Investiture into the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
• Congratulations Charles Sant'Elia on Your Investiture into the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
• Congratulations John Napoli on Your Investiture into the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
• Congratulations Michael T. Viola on Your Investiture into the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
• Congratulations Anthony J. O'Boyle Esq. on Your Investiture into the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George
• Investiture and Mass in the Presence of the Royal Family of the Two Sicilies at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City
• A Royal Welcome
• Celebrating the Feast of Saint George with the Sacred Constantinian Military Order of Saint George
• Honoring Francesco II di Borbone in New York City