May 1, 2014

A (Very) Brief Tour of Sicily

The Nike of Giardini Naxos by Carmelo Mendola
Located at the tip of Cape Schisò, in the Province of Messina, the monument was erected on November 27, 1965 to commemorate the twinning of Giardini Naxos with the Greek town of Halkida Evia. Dating back to 735 BC, Giardini Naxos was the site of the first Greek colony in Sicily
By Niccolò Graffio
It's been several months since I returned to the States from my trip to Sicily. Needless to say, the memories of that enchanted island still linger in my mind. Whether it was the breathtaking view of Messina on the ferry ride over from Reggio Calabria, the lava beaches of Giardini Naxos, the vendors who lined La Vucciria in Palermo with their wares, or just the great food (oh the food!) I ate wherever I went. Thanks to that trip (and my digital camera) I have memories that will last a lifetime!
For your visual pleasure I have included just a small sample of the many photos I took while I was there. More will be forthcoming in the future, along with anecdotes of my trip. If you have never been to Sicily I can only suggest you go in the strongest terms! If you have, go again, anyway!
Addiu!
Testa di Moro, traditional Sicilian ceramic head from Taormina
Roman Amphitheater, Syracuse Archaeological Zone (Zona Archeologica)
Teatro greco, Syracuse Archaeological Zone (Zona Archeologica)
Inside Orecchio di Dionisio (The Ear of Dionysius), Siracusa
Limestone cave carved out of the Temenites hill
Ikaro Caduto (Fallen Icarus) in front of the Temple of Concordia
Valle die Templi (Valley of the Temples), Agrigento
Temple of Concordia, Valle die Templi (Valley of the Temples), Agrigento
Temple of Juno, Valle die Templi (Valley of the Temples), Agrigento
Cattedrale metropolitana della Santa Vergine Maria Assunta, Palermo
The sarcophagus of King William I, Cathedral of Monreale
The sarcophagus of King William II, Cathedral of Monreale
Fish for sale at the Mercato della Vucciria