October 13, 2011

Columbus Day 2011 Retrospective

A look at the 67th Annual Columbus Day Parade on Fifth Avenue, NYC
Luca Sessa, Presidente Associazione Tre Sicilie, shows his true colors 
Photo by New York Scugnizzo
By Giovanni di Napoli

Normally, I attend Manhattan's Annual Columbus Day Parade as a spectator, but this year I had the great privilege of marching with the East Harlem Giglio Society and the Sons of San Paolino di Nola from Long Island. I cannot begin to describe the warm welcome the members of these two gracious societies gave my friends and I. They treated us like family and spoiled us with typical Southern Italian hospitality. What a festive bunch; we felt right at home.
Members of the East Harlem Giglio Society and Sons of San Paolino di Nola make their way down Fifth Avenue (New York Scugnizzo) 
Our procession made its way down a packed Fifth Avenue with great fanfare. To the joy of the crowd, Danny Vecchiano's Giglio Band led the way, playing traditional Southern Italian and patriotic American tunes. Accompanied by the women and children, the menfolk took turns carrying the statues of San Paolino di Nola and San Antonio di Padova. Highlights included a blessing by the clergy outside Saint Patrick's Cathedral and a raucous performance by the band on the red carpet. We certainly couldn't ask for better weather; the sky was blue and the temperature was mild. If there was one downside to marching at all, it was not being able to see the other groups in the parade. Usually I love watching the various contingents and their interesting performances, but it was worth missing to be a part of the spectacle.
Standard bearers lead the way (New York Scugnizzo) 
While this was the first time I marched in the Columbus Day Parade it was in fact the second time I got to march down Manhattan's Fifth Avenue. Back in the early '90s, before the collapse of the Iron Curtain, I participated in the Captive Nations Day, which was a multi-national demonstration against Communist regimes by Eastern European expatriates and dissidents. I drew a lot of attention back then by carrying the Italian flag (at the time I did not have a Due Sicilie flag). When questioned "Why?" people were surprised to here my view of Southern Italy as an occupied state (among other things). 
Leaving Saint Patrick's Cathedral 
Photo courtesy of Bobby Maida
This time, it was my Due Sicilie flag that drew some attention. I was approached by several people who did not recognize the flag and were curious about its meaning. My explanation of its historical significance and its defiant symbolism against Northern Italian cultural hegemony seemed to go over well. However, some were wondering why an ethnocentric Southern Italian would celebrate the exploits of a Northerner. 
Viva San Paolino! Viva San Antonio! 
New York Scugnizzo 
At the risk of repeating myself (and for our newer readers who may be unfamiliar with my opinions on the subject) I would like to explain why I observe Columbus Day.

Firstly, I celebrate the day because I'm an American not because I'm "Italian." To me, a proud Neapolitan-American, this is a patriotic holiday, not an Italian-American one. His accomplishment, whether it was on purpose or not, set in motion the chain of events that led to the founding of this great country. That is why Cristoforo Colombo, and not the great Leif Erikson (who came before him) is a national icon. 
Giglio Girls (above) and The Daughters of San Paolino (below) partake in the festivities (Photos by New York Scugnizzo and Bobby Maida)
Also, if I can admire Mozart, Nikola Tesla, and Sun Tzu, none of whom are Southern Italian or American, then I can do the same for the famous Genoese maritime explorer without it being a conflict of interest.
A labor of love 
New York Scugnizzo
Secondly, by honoring his legacy I'm challenging the growing anti-Western sentiment in this country and all those trying to vilify its traditional heroes by rewriting American history. With the way things are going I know that its only a matter of time before this parade (and others like it) will be cancelled to pacify un-American worldviews, but for now I'll take every opportunity I get to enjoy these events. 
Danny Vecchiano's Giglio Band kept the party going 
New York Scugnizzo
Finally, attending this parade is a wonderful opportunity for me to interact with my own people. Whether they realize it or not, many of the celebrants are Southern Italian and quite frankly it makes me happy to be in their company. The generic Italian-American identity they embrace is simply a matter of misinformation; after all, I felt much the same way before I started studying our history.
The Giglio Boys (left) and the Sons of San Paolino (right) proudly carry their respective patrons (Photos courtesy of Bobby Maida)
Afterward, in what is happily becoming a tradition, a bunch of us went to Naples 28 on Carmine Street in Greenwich Village for some delicious Neapolitan-style pizza. As usual, it was the perfect way to cap-off an outstanding day. 
A work of art from Naples 28
New York Scugnizzo
For more photos of the parade please visit Bobby Maida's Shutterfly album