December 7, 2009

The Voyage of the Black Madonna

Alessandra Belloni
I had the great pleasure to attend Alessandra Belloni’s performance at St. Mary’s Episcopal Church in Harlem, on Sunday (December 6th). A long-time fan of her music, I was unable for various reasons to attend past performances, but I finally got to see her and I was not disappointed.

Billed as “A musical journey to the ancient sites of the Black Madonna in Southern Italy,” I looked forward to experiencing traditional folk music from my ancestral homeland. Sadly, in a city that once boasted of having more Italians (mostly Southerners) living in it than Rome, New York City is criminally lacking in the traditional cultural expressions of Southern Italy. For those of us who still care about our heritage, it is a duty to attend and support those who keep the old ways alive.

St. Mary’s was a lovely venue with terrific acoustics for the concert. The setting was intimate and Belloni’s voice was radiant. John La Barbera, who composed and arranged the music, was phenomenal on the guitar and mandolin! Halfway through the show, he performed an incredible solo piece highlighting his guitar mastery. Susan Eberenz played the flute and piccolo recorder. A dancer dressed as the Roman poet Virgil accompanied the musicians. I apologize for not remembering the names of the rest of her ensemble, but needless to say, they were a perfect complement to Belloni’s vocals and masterful percussion

After the concert, the performers mingled with the audience. I learned she would be performing La Tarantella - the ritual dance and drumming from Southern Italy, in concert this January. As soon as I can confirm the dates and location, I will post the information. If this coming event is anything like Sunday's performance, it will be a must see! I highly recommend it.