April 12, 2024

Feast of San Giulio I Papa

San Giulio I Papa, ora pro nobis
April 12th is the Feast of St. Julius I, Pope. A Roman deacon, San Giulio I is elected Pope in 337 after the brief pontificate of Pope St. Mark. During his Papacy, he built at least five new churches and basilicas in Rome and was a great defender of the Faith against the Arian heresy. He died on April 12, 352 and was buried in the catacombs of Calepodius. His relics were later translated to the Basilica of Santa Maria in Trastevere, which he built.

In celebration, we’re posting a prayer to Pope St. Julius I. The photo comes courtesy of Father Eugene Carrella. The statue and "ex ossibus" relic of Pope St. Julius I is part of Father Carrella’s impressive collection of religious statuary and relics. Evviva San Giulio I Papa!

Prayer to Pope St. Julius I

God, Light and Shepherd of souls, you established St. Julius as Pope over Your Church to feed Your flock by his word and form it by his example. Help us through his intercession to keep the Faith he thought by his word and follow the way he showed by his example. Amen.