February 14, 2024

My Latest Flame

Paolo and Francesca da Rimini (ca. 1856-60)
by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres
As part of my New Year’s resolution and live life to the fullest attitude, I started dabbling with poetry again. Overly self-critical of my work, I was convinced by trusted friends to take a chance and share them. Finally taking the plunge, I’m posting “My Latest Flame” for Valentine’s Day, which I penned dans un petit café français back in late December in Manhattan.

The accompanying image of the ill-fated lovers Paolo and Francesca by Jean-Auguste-Dominique Ingres has long been a favorite of mine. Inspired by the adulterous tale in Dante’s Inferno, Canto V, the painting has nothing to do with my poem or love interest. I could have just as easily used Pygmalion and Galatea by Jean-Léon Gérôme, Orpheus and Eurydice by Auguste Rodin or any number of masterpieces to limn my romantic desire for the Iberian Circé who sets my heart afire.

My Latest Flame

“Love reasons without reason.” ~ William Shakespeare, Cymbeline

On paper, my latest flame
Is all wrong for me;
Tattooed with a septum nose ring,
Alas, she cannot make a good café.
Her slender figure
And terrone dark complexion
Makes me turn a blind eye.
Clearly, I have a type,
And prone to fall suddenly,
Not so much in love as desire.
Kari, Lillian and Gavi before
Were my Beatrice, Laura and Fiammetta;
Now Brenda,
In her white tee-shirt and overalls
Melts my heart
With her Spanish lisp.