January 26, 2024

Feast of Santa Paola Romana

Santa Paola Romana, ora pro nobis

January 26th is the Feast of St. Paula of Rome, fourth century noblewoman, devoted wife and mother, widow, ascetic, abbess, disciple of St. Jerome, and foundress of two monasteries in Bethlehem. She is the patron saint of widows.


In celebration, we’re posting St. Jerome’s prayer to St. Paula. The accompanying photo comes courtesy of Father Eugene Carrella. The holy card is part of Father Carrella’s impressive collection of religious artifacts. Evviva Santa Paola Romana!


St. Jerome’s prayer to St. Paula


O dear Saint Paula, help me now by your prayers, and do not forget me, who taught you to live for God and Heaven. Your faith and your piety have already placed you in the bosom of God, and I know He cannot now refuse to hear you. Oh, then, my child, pray, pray for me.