January 16, 2024

Feast of San Marcello I

San Marcello I, ora pro nobis

January 16th is the Feast of St. Marcellus I (255-309), Pope and Martyr. Denounced by a group of apostates (lapsi), who refused to do the penance required by the Holy Father, the Roman emperor Maxentius had him arrested and exiled. According to legend, he died under terrible conditions working as a slave in horse stables. 


In celebration, we’re posting a prayer to St. Marcellus I. The accompanying photo comes courtesy of Father Eugene Carrella. The holy card is part of Father Carrella’s impressive collection of religious artifacts. Evviva San Marcello I!


Prayer to St. Marcellus I


We pray today, Lord, that there will always be defenders of the truth in Your Church, ready to restore where Satan has demolished. We thank you for Pope St. Marcellus and his work within the Church, and all his successors who have stood firm in the face of adversity. Amen.