January 6, 2024

Buona Epifania!

The "witches' brew" from Benevento

Ecce advénit Dominátor Dóminus: et regnum in manu ejus, et potéstas, et impérium. Psalm 71. 1 Dues, judícium tuum Regi da: et justítiam tuam Fílio Regis. V. Glória Patri. Ecce advénit Dominátor Dóminus. [1] 

Before my nighttime prayers and hitting the sack, I placed the Three Magi into my modest familial presepe (crèche) and had a celebratory shot of Liquore Strega for la Befana, the benevolent witch fated to unceasingly search for the Christ Child and who leaves presents in the socks of good little boys and girls during her quest on the Epiphany.


Still not too old to receive gifts from the old crone, I awoke to find a few awesome surprises. Amazingly, she knew about my recent health scare and skipped the customary sweets and instead left me a few important books I’ve been looking forward to reading. 

This year's Epiphany presents: Removing the Blindfold by John C. Rao,
From Aristocracy to Monarchy to Democracy by Hans-Hermann Hoppe,
and the recently published The Authentic Reactionary: Selected Scholia of
Nicholás Gómez Dávila translated
with commentary by Ramon Elani

After First Saturday Mass, I performed the traditional rite for the blessing of a home during Epiphanytide with my Epiphany water, salt, and blessed chalk. For protection against evil and to bear witness to our faith, I inscribed the initials 20+C+M+B+24 over my doorways. The characters stand for the calendar year (2024) and Christus Mansionem Benedicat, which means “Christ bless this house.” The letters also represent the traditional names of the Three Magi, Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar.

After Mass, I chalked the traditional blessing over my doorways
Buona Epifania and God Bless you all.

Notes

[1] Behold the Lord the Ruler is come: and the kingdom is in His hand, and power, and dominion. Psalm 71. 1 Give to the King Thy judgment, O God: and to the King’s Son Thy justice. V. Glory be to the Father. Behold the Lord the Ruler is Come. ~ Introit Malachias 3. 1; Paralipomena 29. 12