February 14, 2024

Feast of San Nostriano di Napoli

San Nostriano Vescovo, ora pro nobis
February 14th is the patronal Feast of San Nostriano, Bishop of Naples. A stalwart defender of the Faith against the Arian, Manichean and Pelagian heresies, he famously gave refuge to persecuted Christians fleeing the conquest of North Africa and the sacking of Carthage by the Arian Vandals. San Nostriano is also commemorated on August 16th, after the discovery of his relics in a stone urn in the now deconsecrated Chiesa San Gennaro all’Olmo on August 16, 1612.

In celebration, I’m posting a prayer to St. Nostrianus. The accompanying photo, courtesy of Andrew Giordano, was taken at the Cattedrale di Santa Maria Assunta in Napoli. Evviva San Nostriano!


Prayer to St. Nostrianus 


O Glorious St. Nostrianus, you served God in humility and confidence on earth, now you enjoy His beatific vision in Heaven. Help me to strengthen my faith and protect me in conflict. Obtain for me the grace to live a holy life, so that one day I may join you in the Kingdom of Heaven. Amen