August 19, 2026

A Tempting Birthday Gift

Finding a birthday gift for a friend whose massive book collection, particularly when it comes to the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, puts mine to shame is no easy task. Yet while perusing his shelves recently, I noticed something genuinely surprising: he did not already own a copy of Giacinto de’ Sivo’s Storia delle Due Sicilie dal 1847 al 1861.

I managed to find a beautiful 1964 Arturo Berisio edition published in Naples: two volumes bound in the publisher’s cloth with gilt lettering and ornamentation, transparent dust jackets, sixteen plates, and the original color-illustrated slipcase, all in fine condition. De’ Sivo’s monumental history is unapologetically pro-Bourbon and remains one of the most important contemporary accounts of the fall of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies.

I have to admit, after seeing the set in person, I was seriously tempted to keep it for myself. Such are the sacrifices we make for friendship. And, for obvious reasons, I waited until after giving it to him before publishing this. I wasn’t about to ruin the surprise.

~ By Giovanni di Napoli, August 18th, Feast of Sant’Elena of the Cross