July 20, 2026

La Furia Roja: A Worthy Champion

Congratulations to Spain on a well-deserved 1-0 victory over Argentina in the World Cup Final.

As a Napoli club-over-country supporter, and with Italy shamefully absent from the tournament anyway, I came into this match as a genuine neutral. With a soft spot for both teams, I had no preference as to who lifted the trophy. More than anything, I simply hoped for a final befitting the occasion and decided by quality rather than controversy.

After a tournament in which officiating decisions and needless drama too often overshadowed the football itself, it was refreshing to see the world’s greatest prize settled on the pitch. Spain proved the stronger side on the day, defending with discipline and taking their chance when it mattered most. Argentina, for their part, fought until the final whistle and can leave the tournament with their heads held high after another remarkable campaign.

In the end, football was the real winner. Spain are worthy world champions.