January 22, 2024

Feast of Sant'Irene the Healer

Sant'Irene di Roma, ora pro nobis
January 22nd is the Feast of Sant'Irene di Roma, patron saint of the sick and the wounded. Widow of St. Castulus, who was martyred during the great persecutions of Emperor Diocletian, she famously nursed St. Sebastian back to health after he was left for dead, his body riddled with arrows. 
In celebration, we're posting a Prayer to Saint Irene of Rome. The accompanying photo of Saint Sebastian Cured by Saint Irene and Her Handmaid by Luca Giordano was taken at the Philadelphia Museum of ArtEvviva Sant'Irene di Roma!
Prayer to Saint Irene of Rome
O Glorious Saint Irene you served God in humility and confidence on earth, now you enjoy His beatific vision in Heaven. Help me to strengthen my faith and protect me in conflict. Obtain for me the grace to live a holy life, so that one day I may join you in the Kingdom of Heaven. Amen